Wednesday, February 3, 2016

PROJECT: HOW TO MAKE A LARGE SILICONE RUBBER MOLD (2-PART) BY CHRIS TAN

The photos below are compliments from Chris Tan, a local customer on his project using Craftiviti Moldmaker RTV Silicone Rubber

Chris started with building a base out of Craftiviti Industrial Styling Clay. This clay contains no sulphur and is therefore safe to use with the Moldmaker RTV Silicone Rubber. In a nutshell, anything with sulphur will cause the RTV Silicone not to cure.

In the photo above, Chris brilliantly built the clay within a plastic tray hence eliminating the work needed to build 4 walls around the mold. Walls are essential in keeping the liquid silicone in.  
Next, Chris embedded his master objects. In this case, the master was a set of unique dices. Chris was careful to embed only half the dice. You can see how securely the clay grips onto the dice. Chris sprayed a layer of Silicone Release Agent on this master so that the master will not stick to the liqiud silicone rubber.
Next, Moldmaker RTV Silicone Rubber is mixed with the hardener. This step is crucial.

Mixing Ratio: 2.5%-3% hardener to the weight of the silicone rubber. 


So if you have 100g of  Moldmaker RTV Silicone Rubber, you only need approximately 3g hardener. A dripper or pipette is the best measuring tool for this and a very sensitive weighing scale too. Once you get more familiar with our Moldmaker RTV Silicone Rubber, you can roughly gauge 3g as 3ml. 

This mixture needs to be stirred well and poured SLOWLY onto the master to avoid bubbles forming. To encourage more bubbles to be released, just tap the mold. 
Chris left this mold overnight to cure.
The next day, the cured Silicone Rubber peels right off the mold. In the photo below you will see how well the silicone rubber emulates the master. 
Notice how well the Moldmaker RTV Silicone Rubber captures even the faintest detail including the shallow numeric on each dice. 
This is the first part of the mold. Now onto part 2. 

For part 2, Chris uses the 1st part of the mold with the dice. Again he builds a wall using Craftiviti Industrial Styling Clay

In the photo above, you will notice shiny liquid on the surface of this master. The liquid is a silicone-to-silicone brush-on liquid. Just brush on the liquid, allow to dry and repeat 3 to 4 times. You NEED TO DO THIS because silicone and silicone LOVE each other and will stick firmly together. This love is definitely NOT what you want in a 2 part mold.  
Repeat the mixing and pouring of the Moldmaker RTV Silicone Rubber. 
 The end result is a large two part mold slab that is ready to use. 

Thank you Chris for sharing!

Email us if you have any enquiries at enquiry@craftiviti.com or pop by our store at 10 Boulevard, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.

If you found this post useful, please join us on Facebook for more updates and demos!






10 comments:

  1. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
    ฆ พ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this blog after a long time which is really helpful to let understand different approaches. I am going to adopt these new point to my career and thankful for this help.คาสิโนที่มาเก๊า

    ReplyDelete
  3. I constantly like to read a top quality content having accurate info pertaining to the subject and the exact same thing I found in this article. Nice job.
    Bull Market คือ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.
    ตัดสูท

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
    ฉลาก สติ๊กเกอร์

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
    รับ ทํา สติ๊กเกอร์ โลโก้

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    วิตามินบํารุงสายตา

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. They all are really very useful for me as well as for my team. We are definitely going to use its highlighted information.
    หุ้น forex

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blog often and I really thank you for your content. The article has really peaked my interest. I will take a note of your blog and keep checking for new information about once per week. I subscribed to your RSS feed too.
    tủ quần áo gỗ công nghiệp

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was more than happy to uncover this website. I need to to thank you for ones time due to this wonderful read!! I definitely really liked every bit of it and I have you book-marked to see new information in your site.
    ghế gỗ đẹp

    ReplyDelete

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK